|Church of Our lady of Immaculate Conception|
Our lady of Immaculate Conception History
Built originally between 1510-1540, by the Portuguese, the Shrine of Nossa Senhora da Immaculada Conceicao, was raised to a Parish Church in 1600. It is one of the oldest Catholic ecclesiastical structures of Panaji. The church of Our lady of Immaculate Conception was built from its foundations in 1612 and was completed in 1619.
Our lady of Immaculate Conception Church Staircase
Panjim Church is little over four centuries old. This parish church is known for it’s artistic and impressive staircase. The staircase of the Panjim church dates back to 1870. The Church was originally a Chapel and stood on a small hillock called “Conceicao Hill” and hence the necessity was felt to build the majestic steps. The majestic stairway of the Church, set in a zigzag pattern rising in angled platforms, has at the center, a beautiful pulpit with the image of Our Lady, in standing position raised on a pedestal, with an inscription dated 8 th December 1954.
|Staircase of church of Our lady of Immaculate Conception|
Our lady of Immaculate Conception Church Bell
The bell , at the top of the Church is the second largest in Goa , the first being that of Se Cathedral, at Old Goa. The bell was cast in 1749and previously had hung in the tower of St. Augustine Church. The bell of the lady of Immaculate Conception church on its belfry weighs 2.25-ton