Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Aguada Fort

Inner Bastions ( Light House at Fort Aguada)
Fort Aguada is located on Sinquerim beach about 18 Kms from Panjim. Aguada in Portuguese means “Watering place” and the fort was built in 1612 to provide fresh water to Portuguese ships.

Fort Aguada Structure


The fort consists of a lower fort which provided safe cover for ships and an upper fort which consisted of more elaborate arrangements such as a light house, water storage tanks, ammunition storage and Quarters for sailors. The inner citadel is ringed by thick battlements and was protected by two hundred cannons overlooking a deep moat, which one still has to cross to get inside.

The lighthouse is located in the center of the upper fort and it initially used an oil lamp. It was later renovated and modernised in 1976. If one goes to Miramar Beach after 6pm one can sometimes even today see the light coming out of the lighthouse as it is being tested. The lighthouse was the temporary home of St Augustines basillica bell before it was moved to Our Lady of Immaculate Conception church at Panaji.

Aguada Fort Today

Photo Taken in 2003 , Outer Bastions - Aguada Fort
The Aguada fort, at present, houses the Goa Central Jail and access to certain parts of the structure are hence restricted. Even today a visit to Fort Aguada takes one back to the numerous Bollywood movies scenes which have been shot here. The spectacular view of Panjim and the Arabian sea with roaring sea waves breaking on the rocks below as well as the sea breeze blowing in your hair perfectly complements the perfect sunset that one can see from the top of the fort. Fort Aguada Beach Resort is a seven star property which is present along the lower slopes of the steep sided peninsula which is commanded by the fort .