The church was constructed in 1602 by Augustinian friars who arrived in Old Goa in 1587. All that remains of this once huge church is the 46m-high tower and it is one of four such towers. The Church when intact was perhaps the biggest in Goa. With the religious suppression in 1835, the Augustinians deserted the church and the convent. The church fell into neglect and the vault collapsed in 1842 with the facade following down in 1931. The tower's huge bell was moved in 1871 to the Church of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception in Panaji.
|Photo taken someime in 2004|